Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Love and War

I took a look at my blog and I realized that I had done it a disservice. Of all the true and beautiful voices posted on my blog the one voice I didn’t post on just happens to be the future of soul music (in my opinion). That voice belongs to Anthony Hamilton and this song, a duet with the enigmatic Macy Gray in my opinion is smoking. These two voices together are like peanut butter and chocolate and they could have been the modern day version of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. The music these two artists could have created together would have been exceptional. Unfortunately that coupling never happened but thankfully they did do a song together and “Love and War” is the offering of their collaboration.

It starts off really easy going and subtle with the twangy guitar, hi hat, keys, and Anthony unmistakable voice but then the beat kicks in and Anthony lays it down hard and heavy. Singing words of despair and regret for treating his lady wrong, his voice is perfect for that kind of sentiment. The music bounces along, the perfect companion for his voice. When Macy comes in she’s full of vitriol and attitude which is the perfect role for her voice and when she sings “here comes him again / sneaking in my backdoor / bruised heart all from trampling / from years of my past” you know she’s not taking anymore crap. Anthony is all love and Macy is all war and this song is all beautiful.

Just when you think it can’t get any better, it does when they bring in the strings for that added dramatic effect as they two combatants go at it line for line. Anthony pleading his case and Macy not giving an inch makes this one enjoyable song and sadly if you didn’t purchase Anthony’s album “Soulife” you never heard it, until now. I hope you enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment