Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Suns Gone Dim and the Sky's Turned Black

When I first heard this song I didn't quite know what to make of it but I knew it was undeniably beautiful and haunting. It was the accompanying music to an impressive movie trailer and whoever saw fit to marry the visuals to this song had a moment of pure genius. The song is called "The Suns Gone Dim and the Sky's Turned Black" by Johann Johannsson.

A native of Iceland, Johann is an accomplished composer, producer, musician, and co-founder of Kitchen Motors. An arts organization and think tank record label that specializes in initiating collaborations, performing and putting on exhibits that are based on the ideals of experimentation. All done in the effort to search out new art forms and if there was one piece of music that encompasses that attitude, that could be the soundtrack to that mindset, that ideal, it's this song right here.

I asked some of my European friends if they've ever heard of Johann and they've all praised him and his music. I've asked my home grown friends and you might as well put him on a milk carton because no one had ever heard of him. So I thought maybe it was time to enlighten some people. I'm including the movie trailer as well at the very bottom so you can see how the piece was used. All I ask is that you give it a chance. Close your eyes and let the music wash over you, immerse yourself in it and you'll be surprised how you feel once the song is finished. You will want to hear it again, trust me!





And here is the movie trailer using the same piece of music....




No comments:

Post a Comment