Friday, December 14, 2012

Farewell To The Former World

Okay, you know that age old question asking which came first, the chicken or the egg? That's how I feel when I listen to Blue Sky Black Death's music. I ask which came first, Moby or BSBD? Of course Moby was around long before the team of Kingston Maguire and Ian Taggart teamed up together. and you can hear his influence in a lot of their music. I happen to be a fan of Moby so this is no criticism to BSBD at all, it's just my opinion that their sound mirrors his rather closely. In other words, they need to find their own niche.

Farewell To The Former World, a song off their 2011 release Noir is a step in the right direction. It's a mid tempo, chill out song good for that ever important background music to a dinner party. People will ask you "hey, who's that playing?" and you can introduce BSBD to someone new. They sample some vocals of Windmills of Your Mind from The Thomas Crown Affair soundtrack which I thought inventive. This is my favorite track by the duo because it's just so pretty and light.

BSBD has a bright future ahead of them (and a potentially prosperous one should they commercialize their music like Moby). I just think they need to find a foothold in sound, find their own signature sound that people can readily identify as BSBD. That is of course, they don't mind being compared to an icon in electronic music...which isn't bad actually. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Ok so this is nice too. I just commented on the hell on earth one and the two are a great start of a nice, chill cd that I'd listen to while enjoying some beautiful nature scenes.....ahhhhh!!!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I got the title of the other song wrong and I meant playlist not cd lol!!

      Delete