Sunday, September 8, 2013

any time, any place

This album marked the beginning of the end. This was the album that destroyed the myth and defaced the facade. The album where everyone finally realized there was something else to Janet Jackson we never fully understood. It started with the album cover of her 1993 release Janet. I'm sure jaws dropped everywhere when the album hit the shelves, her standing there, naked with arms raised, and someone else's hands covering her breasts, a true OMG moment. It was Janet shedding the image of little miss innocent, putting Penny from Good Times away forever, and the song Any Time, Any Place definitely helped to say goodbye to that image of her.

Any Time, Any Place is a seductive, sultry, and playful song written and produced by Janet, Jimmy Jam, and Terry Lewis. With lyrics like In the thunder and rain / You stare into my eyes / I can feel your hand / Moving up my thighs and a chorus comprised of I don't wanna stop just because / People walking by are watching us / I don't give a damn what they think / I want you now, Janet was definitely making a statement that things would never be the same again.

This is my favorite song off the Janet album, and I can listen to it all day, just not the entire album. When Janet made the change to grow up, that album seemed like it was all about sex and nothing else. That was too bad because she ceased being nuanced. Yes, while growing up does definitely include sex, there's a lot more involved in being a grown up, and I think her projects starting with Janet missed that boat. Enjoy!

1 comment: