Monday, September 9, 2013

Got To Be Real

This was my roller skating jam back in the day, back when roller skating rinks were safe and EVERYWHERE! There were three rinks within a square mile of my house growing up, but enough about that. Got To Be Real by Cheryl Lynn was THE party starter and it definitely did it's job. It's an uptempo jam that is on fire from the first note to the last.

The lyrics are scarce and easy to remember, and that's because this song was meant for cook outs, barbecues, and disco's and that's it. Released back in 1978 off of her self titled album, this song went as high as number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 and to number one on the R&B charts. It's got an undeniable groove, that bass line is some serious piece of work, and Cheryl's voice soars over the track with amazing energy.

This is one of my feel good songs, meaning when I need a pick-me-up I cue this puppy up and let it rip as loud as I can. Got To Be Real never lets me down, it always brings a smile to my face. A lot of that may have to do with me remembering all the fun I had on my roller skates. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Okay so I can't but help but want to dance in my wrap around dress and hustle with my heels that tie around the ankles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I heard this in Central Park a couple weeks ago as the best roller skaters I've ever seen rolled and rocked their hearts out! lol It was a blast to watch.

    My roller rink song...The Gap Band's You Dropped a Bomb on Me. Every time I hear that whistle I can remember cruising around the corners. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!!!! And Let It Whip!!! lol Gotta love You Tube's suggestions...flashing back to blue roller skates and feathered hair! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?!!!!! Got me up dancin in the living room at 1241a! Very nice selection!! Yessss!

    ReplyDelete