Friday, September 13, 2013

Dear Mama

Comprised of the samples of Sadie by The Spinners and All My Wildest Dreams by Joe Sample, Tupac Amaru Shakur crafted one of the greatest hip hop songs ever created. Dear Mama was the platinum single off of his 1995 album Me Against the World. The first time I heard it I couldn't believe my ears and it confirmed for me the truth about Tupac, he was uncannily empathetic. This was a rapper that didn't run and hide from his emotions like so many others have done and still do.

Tupac was killed 17 years ago today and when he passed it felt like someone I knew, someone who was a close friend of mine was taken from me. It wasn't until I heard his song My Block though did the tears over his death finally fall. I cried for the same reasons fans of Marley and Lennon cried, because the man who made such impassioned songs like Dear Mama and My Block was gone forever. That eventually there will be no more new music by him and that silence would become deafening. Thankfully he left those and a massive collection of songs behind for us to enjoy and for that I am eternally grateful to him.

May you continue to rest in peace Tupac, and thank you for everything.








1 comment:

  1. Tupac wasn't afraid to go soul deep. When an artist can do that...they transcend and become legends. Wonderful post, M.

    ReplyDelete