Friday, June 21, 2013

Overyjoyed

You know, it hit me like a bag of bricks out of the blue while I was cooking dinner, (I was getting my gourmet cheffing on), that I had just one Stevie Wonder song on my blog. I reasoned that this major oversight had to be rectified immediately, the problem though is which other classic do I choose of Mr. Wonders to blog about. Then it hit me, (like another damn bag of bricks), I should blog one of my favorite Stevie songs, one of his prettiest ones entitled Overjoyed. Off of his 1985 hit album In Square Circle (for which he won another Grammy), Overjoyed was his eighth #1 song, and to date, his last.

This was the song that Stevie Wonder wrote but left off his classic 1979 album Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants. Instead he re-recorded this masterpiece and thankfully decided to share it with us on In Square Circle. It's one of the prettiest pop songs I have ever heard, there is no real percussion, the drip replaces a snare drum and the strings are lush and beautiful. It's a lovely song and it's one of my all time favorites by the maestro.

Everyone has a favorite Stevie Wonder song, and if you don't then please feel free to join me in making Overjoyed your favorite. Lucky for you, I don't mind sharing (which is obvious I think). Sit back, relax, and let this work of beauty wash over you. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I am sadly, sadly lacking in my experience with Stevie Wonder. I know I'm missing out on some beautiful tracks by a legendary artist. I think I was just a couple of year's too young. Thank you for the post M. As always your timing is impeccable. I needed something light, airy, and tender this evening. The lyrics combined with his buttery voice took me away for just a moment. ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. I was happy I could supply you with some Stevie this morning :-)

    ReplyDelete