Monday, June 17, 2013

Who Are You, Really?

I heard this song as recently as last night, and it has been the ONLY thing that has torn me away from the genius that is the Man Of Steel score by Hans Zimmer. This song was played during the closing credits of the season premiere of True Blood, and it blew me away. I immediately went looking for it. The artist is a young man by the name of Mikky Ekko and the song, Who Are You, Really? is off his 2010 EP Reds.

The whole sound and structure of the song is frenetic. It starts off with one great beat pattern and throbbing bass line, Mikky joins in with his scratchy vocals. When he sings So you feel entitled to a sense of control/And you make decisions that you think are you're own/You are a stranger here why have you come, why have you come/Lift me higher let me look at the sun, look at the sun... this song is off and running. When he gets to the chorus of this too short song, the vocal layering is impressive, it opens the song up and takes it to another level. I definitely recommend the big boys for this one, that way you can hear every little nuance that makes this song something to pay attention to.

Like I said, the song is way too short but that does nothing to lessen how impressive it is. Mikky is not a household name yet but he soon may be. Hailing from Louisiana, and being the son of a preacher, Mikky's definitely got some fire and brimstone in his voice. And it's that quality that has pulled me away from Man Of Steel (which I am going right back to now that I've posted this track). Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment