Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dirty Hands



When Battlestar Galactica was on the sci-fi network I was a huge fan. Yeah, yeah I know I'm a geek but I'm a cool one. Anyway, not only did the show feed my need for sci-fi, drama, suspense, and action but in my opinion the real star of that show was the music of Bear McCreary. I didn't know of Bear or his music before the show but after getting a taste of his sound I am now a huge fan of his as well, especially this track entitled Dirty Hands. It's from the season 3 episode of the same name and it's a perfect fit.

Dirty Hands starts off truly bad ass, sounding like something out of a spaghetti western. You can almost see the tumbleweeds blowing by if you close your eyes and listen. The twangy guitar and bass definitely sets the table lovely and Bears music for BSG has always included the thunderous Japanese Taiko drums which brings an energy all their own to the music. This song rumbles and rolls along until the bass takes over and the mood intensifies.

Then suddenly the bad ass-ness falls away, the tension lifts and what you get is a gentleness, a softness that almost screams of reconciliation and peace. It's a great track, filled with darkness, light, and a feral kind of energy that makes it one of my favorite pieces of music. I hope you enjoy it and if you have your big boy speakers set to go then turn this one up.

No comments:

Post a Comment