Sunday, June 3, 2012

Who Do You Love?

This is one of my all time favorite songs and every time I hear it I can't help but break out into a huge smile. Maybe it's because I actually met this artist, shook his hand, and get his autograph more than twenty years ago. This song is one of the reasons why I bought my first keyboard, why I wanted to get into making music and not just appreciating it. The name of my paradigm shifting song is Who Do You Love by Bernard Wright. I know, I know you were probably thinking maybe Marvin Gaye or Stevie Wonder, someone along those lines, right? Nope, it was little known Bernard with his ONLY hit that lit that fire within me and I can't really explain why. I just know that when I hear this track it just makes me feel good.

Bernard Wright was born in Queens, NY and was a serious session musician and has recorded with some prominent acts until he wanted to be out front. Like I stated, this song was his biggest hit coming off his 1985 album Mr. Wright. I vividly remember the video of him and his female co-star rolling around on the sidewalk with the camera strapped to them. It was an hilarious, feel good video. This song was later sampled pretty much in it's entirety by LL Cool J for his song Loungin'. Needless to say I wasn't happy...lol. Bernard still records today but it's primarily gospel music he's doing and I am sure he's still doing his thing.

The song breaks no new ground, it won't set your hair on fire or make you go digging for Bernard's music anytime soon. Give Who Do You Love a chance though and it just may grow on you and you may enjoy hearing it as much as I do. Now if I could just find that autographed photo...


No comments:

Post a Comment