Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Dogs of War

Yes I am a Roger Waters fan, but I am also a Pink Floyd fan and even if Roger and David Gilmour can't along, I can still appreciate a good Floyd song. There is no denying that this song is a good Floyd song. Off of their 1987 album A Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Dogs of War is an amazing song musically.

The song has four wonderful movements which is definitely a rare thing, but then again I AM talking about Floyd. The first movement introduces you to the those Dogs of war and how they do what they do and why. It's dark, pulsing, ominous, and damn delicious (listen to those strings!!!). The second movement the band comes in and rocks it out. David's guitar playing is as smooth as ever and the vocals give this movement real depth. The third brings in the saxaphone and a serious change in tempo until it goes back to the begining but this time combining the strings, the band, the voices, and the sax, the fourth movement and true artistry at work.

I can't say I am a fan of all of Gilmours work but there are those moments when I hear his music and think damn, I wonder what kind of music those two men could have made had they stayed together. Sadly, we will never know but at least we have something from the both of them to enjoy. I know I will (You're welcome to join me if you like)!




No comments:

Post a Comment