Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Moody's Mood for Love


If you grew up like I did in New York City, and you listened to the radio station WBLS from 4 to 8pm then you knew the "Chief Rocker" Frankie Crocker and you knew this song. Reason being, every night upon signing off from the air Frankie would play King Pleasure's version of Moody's Mood for Love. I didn't know it at the time but Frankie was smacking us all over the head with a classic. Originally an instrumental solo by James Moody in 1949, his take on Jimmy McHughs classic I'm in the Mood for Love, Moody's Mood didn't really take off until jazz singer Eddie Jefferson wrote the lyrics to the piece in 1952. Then it was rather hard to ignore.

What I so love about this song, outside of the witty delivery and inventive lyrics in King Pleasures version is the orchestration backing him up. Those are REAL strings and they sound so lovely....just listen to them. Singing along with King is the great named Blossom Dearie (is that not a classic name or what?) and she sets her man straight. This is yet another one of my favorite songs because this song brings me back to my childhood almost instantly. I love the lines Am I insane or do I really see heaven in your eyes/Bright as stars that shine up above you in the clear blue skies...perfection.

Jimmy McHugh sued James Moody back in 1954 for copyright infringement once Kings version became a hit. He and Moody eventually agreed to split all proceeds on sales of any version of the song. This song has been redone countless times by countless artists including the late Amy Winehouse, her version is....interesting. I will always love this song and especially this version because it takes me back to a time when all I had to worry about was bringing home a decent to good report card. My how time flies. Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. Great memories... I cant believe I know all the words. Thanks!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the introduction! That brought a smile to my face and a nice start to my morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete