Saturday, May 11, 2013

Crazy Baldhead

I woke up this morning with this song playing over and over again in my head and I didn't know why. Then I remembered today, May 11th is the anniversary of his passing. He is Bob Marley and the song is Crazy Baldhead off of his Bob Marley and the Wailers 1976 release Rastaman Vibration. Crazy Baldhead isn't one of Bobs better known songs but the first time I heard it, I loved it.

It's a political song of uprising and rebellion, two things I am all for when needed. It has some searing lines and one of my favorites is when Bob sings Build your penitentiary/We build your schools/Brainwash education/To make us the fools and Hate is your reward/For our love/Telling us/Of your god above. Bob sees through the tricks and he's had enough of the anti Rasta ideals, which in turn makes that person a baldhead.

 Bob Marley was taken from us far to soon and I often wondered what magic he could have created had he lived, what movements he could have headed, what changes he could have ushered in. Rest in peace Mr. Marley and thank you for all you've done for mankind.

1 comment: