Friday, May 31, 2013

Sabelo

Today is my father's birthday and I had been wondering how I would commemorate his day. I had been scratching my head until I heard Sabelo by the amazingly talented group Bajofondo and all my head scratching ceased. Quite simply, I think my father would have really loved this beautiful piece of music. My dad was a huge classical music fan and he liked movement and fluidity in his music and the arrangement of Sabelo would have appealed to him.

Off of their 2013 release entitled Presente, Sabelo is just one of the few jewels on the album but when I first heard it, it stopped me cold. It has some serious darkness about it starting out, the beat and piano melody gives it that kick. Then the chord change gives it a mournful feel. The second movement, strings are added until the piano goes on a little rant with the beat. This song sounds like it would be great to drive too. Then the last movement comes at the 3:47 mark and the song opens up in a completely different way that would have made my dad smile.

I have been a fan of the group Bajofondo since they dropped their gem of an album, Mardulce back in 2008 (check out my favorite Pa' Bailar by them if you like this, which can be found on this blog). I think my father and I could have had some fun and lengthy discussions about music were he still with us, especially over this song. I really think he would have loved this. Happy Birthday Dad, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I loved how all the pieces interacted with one another! A wonderful tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete