Saturday, August 31, 2013

Alexa De Paris

This is a song that I played until the grooves wore out of the record. It was the B-side of Prince's rocker Mountains off his Parade album which was the soundtrack to his Under The Cherry Moon movie. The song is amazing as far as I'm concerned, and unless you were me and you bought the Mountains 12" single, you never heard Alexa De Paris.

It's an instrumental beauty that grooves in ways you wouldn't expect. It's gentle and melodic and yet still has a certain undeniable groove to it. I played this song more than I did Mountains, and I love that song. Alexa though, just grabbed me by the neck and to this day has yet to let me go. With the band playing along with Claire Fischer's string arrangements, this song is unlike anything I have ever heard before or since.

The wailing guitar is all Prince and it's the perfect way for this luscious, groovy beast of a song to come to an end. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh...I love when you go into the wayback machine and show us some great gem most of us missed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what my blog is all about. Why horde the knowledge when I can share it? Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete