Friday, August 9, 2013

Star People 97

I have been a rather large George Michael fan stretching back to his days in Wham! When I heard the song A Different Corner, I was hooked. It was a well written song, a little heavy on the schmaltz, but it fit that period of my life so perfectly that it almost became a theme song. I had no idea this white guy from England was also so funky though.

Later in his career he started to display his funky side and he emphasized the fun in funky. George Michael gets laughed off by a lot of people for this reason or that, but the man is an artist, pure and simple. He's written some amazing songs and one that still puts a smile on my face is Star People 97. It's a funky rip on celebrity and a funky romp musically. Off of his amazing 1996 release Older, Star People 97 caught me somewhat off guard. It's five minutes and thirty eight seconds of pure funky fun, and at the 3:40 mark he hits you with the classic Gap Band bass line from their hit Burn Rubber. Talk about classic.

I will always be a George Michael fan, mainly because he never failed to entertain me. He's an iconic entertainer, and when it comes right down to it, that's really all I care about.








2 comments:

  1. Dancing my ass off...
    Thanks for the fun.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. I've been trying to figure out where that bass line came from. Love Star People '97. RIP GM

    ReplyDelete