Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic

The title of this seriously funky groovy song aside, this song was ahead of it's time. It was one of those "outer space" grooves by the maestro Isaac Hayes and it took the world by storm. It showed everyone that he was indeed a musical force to be reckoned with, and the more you listen to this almost ten minute track you see why. This track came off his game changing 1969 album Hot Buttered Soul and Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic has been one of the most heavily sampled songs by hip hop producers all over the world.

The lyrics are almost of no consequence, but when Isaac sings I can't sleep at night/But that's alright/The MD tells me/My hearts on strike, you can't help but laugh. Don't even try to figure out the title or the chorus of the song and what it all means, I think that secret went to the grave with the Black Moses. What he mainly wanted to leave behind was that incendiary groove. The drums are ferocious and the piano does its best to keep up.

Happy Belated Birthday Mr. Hayes. I tried to get this blogged yesterday, 8/20 for your birthday, but you know how life can be. I want to thank you for your contributions that helped make life just a little better, a little more tolerable. For that, we will be eternally grateful. May you continue to rest in peace.  




1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmm...damn, that dark, sexy bass line gets to me deep! Then that piano starts to tease, taunt, and then toss me around like a rag doll. ~whimper~ You remind me so well of the power and magic of music!!! I'm breathless and craving more.

    ReplyDelete