Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bitter

I was a fan of Me'Shell NdegeOcello's after hearing her first album, Plantation Lullabies. After her second release, Peace Beyond Passion failed to grab me like her first, I stayed loyal and I am really glad I did. The magnificent genius of her third release entitled Bitter, in my humble opinion placed her in the pantheon of artists. Since being released in 1999, Bitter has always stayed in heavy rotation with me, and it always will. Especially the title track of that album, Bitter.

This song starts off with Me'Shell strumming an acoustic guitar and then joins in, her sultry vocals riding along that beautiful melody. Lyrically the song is heartbreaking, musically it's addictive. So mournful, so full of yearning, and the cello breaks me all the time.

Today is her birthday and I want to wish this amazing artist a very happy birthday. I also want to thank her for sharing this amazing body of work entitled Bitter with the world. No matter what you do or where you go artistically Me'Shell, I will forever be a fan. Happy Birthday!









2 comments:

  1. This track is stunningly unadorned.

    I'm not going to have the right words, but at 1:27 when the instruments blend together so perfectly with those four simple notes and then they repeat...I'm transfixed. The magic of music is in those moments when the combination of instruments and notes clearly communicate without words.

    Going back to listen to her other tracks that you've posted.... She never fails to draw me in. :-)

    ReplyDelete