Thursday, August 29, 2013

Evaporation

I was watching a movie the other day, one I am a big fan of and this song came on. I had forgotten all about it. The second it hit my ears again though, it was like running into an old friend, and this old friend reminded me that it was the reason I bought the soundtrack to the movie in the first place. The name of the movie is Manhunter, directed by Michael Mann and the song is Evaporation by the group Shriekback.

The vocals are so washed out they are really hard to make out. Yes, there are vocals in this song and it's those vocals that add that melody which rounds out the track. I love the bottom heavy ethereal groove this song contains, it will thump in your big boy speakers. The lyrics can be found online if you're curious about them, but I think not knowing them makes the song better. They come across as just another instrument.

The song was ahead of it's time in many regards. It paved the way for electronic music and it bridged the gap between electronic music and pop. It's a haunting song and it haunted me right up to the second where I finally bought the soundtrack. It's a favorite tune of mine and I won't lose touch with this old friend again.




No comments:

Post a Comment