Thursday, November 29, 2012

Used To Be My Girl

Back in 2007, this was my JAM! I couldn't get enough of this song and no matter where I was when I heard it, if I had access to the volume it was increased as much as those in the vicinity could stand. The song is Used To Be My Girl by the amazingly talented Brian McKnight and one of the reasons I loved this song I think, has a lot to do with Brian normally singing about how much he loves someone or how someone broke his heart. This song is a complete departure from that.

This song is all about an ex having a brief encounter with the new guy, simply warning him how while she may make you think you're the man, she's still mine. The chorus says it best when Brian sings She's still thinking about me / and I'll tell you why / She couldn't even hold her head up / when ya'll walked by / Don't go hatin' on me / It's just the game / You want her, you got her, take it you got her / To me it's all the same. This song stands out from almost every other B. McKnight song just by that chorus alone. Can I be honest with you and say I was shocked when I heard it? I was, seriously...jaw on the floor and all that.

Used To Be My Girl is off of his 2006 album Ten, this song was the first single released. In 2007, it was everywhere and while it only reached as high as 25 on the Billboard Hot R&B and Hip Hop chart, it was played in every club, radio station, house party, and ipod (well, the last one applied to me but I doubt I was the only person jamming to this song in their headphones). Take a listen, if you've never heard this song, you may end up jamming to it in your headphones too. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment