Saturday, November 3, 2012

Where We Start

I never like live recorded music. Either give me the studio rendition or let me see it on stage. Don't package up a live recording, in my opinion they are very rarely as good as the in-studio recorded version. That's how I thought until I heard David Gilmours Live in Gdansk album and this cut, Where We Start. I honestly feel the live recorded version is FAR superior than the in-studio version. Rare, right? I know!

If the name David Gilmour sounds familiar or rings any bells it's because he was the guitarist in the iconic and one of the most influential bands Pink Floyd (of which I am a huge fan). Where We Start is off of Gilmours On An Island album released back in 2006, Live In Gdansk was released in 2008 and the live version fully incorporates that Floyd vibe/sound I love so much. Lyrically the song isn't winning any awards but musically it's a beast, especially when the strings come in towards the end.

I think David did something I never thought would be possible and that's make me rethink that whole thing about recorded live albums. Gdansk is so well down it sounds like it was done in-studio and that blows me away. If there was one person in this world that I thought would make me reconsider my previous stance, I wouldn't have said David Gilmour. Hell, he wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment