Saturday, October 20, 2012

Come Together

I honestly think this is The Beatles at their funkiest. Come Together has one hell of a groove and it's hard to believe that this song was recorded without the help of today's recording technology. This song is one of the biggest reasons I am such a huge fan of The Beatles music. It also has some pretty strange lyrics but I chalk that up to a possible acid trip, hey don't judge. Like YOU never dropped acid.

This was the opening song off the Abbey Road LP released back in 1969 and it immediately raced up the charts to number one in the US. Just as immediately, everyone was trying to figure out what the wacky lyrics meant. They were dissecting lines like He wear no shoeshine / He got toe jam football / He got monkey finger / He shoot Coca Cola / He say I know you, you know me / One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...and trying to figure out just what in the hell were they talking about.

I have to admit, Michael Jackson did a pretty good cover of this song but it doesn't touch the original in my opinion. I still marvel at how producer George Martin pulled this track together but it was a masterful job. I never get tired of this song. Enjoy...and go easy on the acid will ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment