Saturday, October 6, 2012

Skyfall



The second I heard this song I realized what  sham that song by Jack White and Alicia Keys was that opened the last Bond film, Quantum of Solace. This song is extremely reminiscent to those classic Bond intros musically. It reminds me of those iconic Shirley Bassy numbers she did for Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, and Moonraker. Vocal wise Adele isn't in the same category as Shirley in any way, shape, or form. In fact she seems bored in singing this song.

Musically this song takes me back to those classic Bond films and as a huge Bond fan that's always a good thing. The piano that comes in after the brass intro is both sweet and melancholy. The guitar that joins the piano playfully introduces the Bond theme. Then when Adele hits the chorus the music explodes and hits its stride. It's a nice arrangement and lyrically it's a solid song.

When I hear this song I wonder what it would have sounded like in Amy Winehouse's hands. Sadly we'll never know and while I do like Adele this song is outside of her wheelhouse. You can hear that primarily at the end of the song. Her vocals are over processed to add more strength to her performance. Was this recorded too soon after her vocal surgery, perhaps. Either way, I do like the song and can't wait to see the movie. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment