Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Block

I don't usually post hip hop on my blog, for my own personal reasons. This is one song though, that from the very first day I heard it, has been close to my heart. It's from the iconic and enigmatic Tupac Shakur and it's the classic My Block from the 1995 The Show soundrtrack.

If you listen closely to the lyrics then this sonmg may give you chills like it does to me everytime I hear it. Back when I first heard it, I loved it. When I heard it again after Tupacs untimely demise, I cried. I cried because the man responsible for this sweet and brutally honest testiment to inner city living, offered up in such a heartfelt way, was now gone forever. I cried because there would be no more songs like this and so far, hip hop has proven me right.

Tupac wasn't the best rapper, there were far more skilled rappers lyrically when he was around but Tupac had something no one could ever match. Tupac had a white hot passion and a hunger that came across in everything he did. He also had an honesty I will always love him for. All these years later and he's still missed. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Very raw. Very powerful. It just stops you in your tracks and makes you see through his eyes.
    ~Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the true beauty of this song.

    ReplyDelete