Saturday, October 20, 2012

Rhapsody On a Theme by Paganini

I remember the first time I heard this piece, it floored me then and still does to this day. It has always stayed with me in one form or another, either in my own musical collection or in a movie using it or a variation of it. It's by the master composer and pianist Sergei Rachmaninoff and it's entitled Rhapsody On a Theme by Paganini and it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever created and it's among one of my all time favorite classical pieces. Played here by Mikhail Pletnev and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, the music is flawless.

Like I said, it's been used in a few movies (can't even begin to name them all), and I am sure you may have heard it before. This isn't the whole piece and I won't share the entire piece since it's about 20+ minutes long since there are 24 different variations of Paganini's Caprices for Solo Violin, this however is the most beautiful part of the composition in my opinion. Hollywood's too apparently.

Now if this is your first time ever hearing this piece, I could say you need to get out more but I won't. What I will say is that it is my absolute honor to introduce it to you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm...a perfect addition to your blog. This piece never fails to gently carry me away on its wings and leave me a little breathless. ;-)

    ReplyDelete