Saturday, October 13, 2012

Nothing At All

Are you at all familiar with the Matrix movies? Of course you are, who am I kidding? Anyway, since you are then while you may have not heard of this artist, you have definitely heard of his music. Rob Dougan is his name and his hard charging, beat heavy music played a large role in the Matrix Trilogy in creating atmosphere, so you can imagine my surprise when I came across this song. Nothing At All is dark and almost ominous in its lyrics and music. Rob's voice doesn't help matters any either.

Quite simply, Rob can't sing but then neither can Dylan or Tom Waits (who Rob sounds a lot alike, just a younger version). Thankfully though, I am not listening for great singing, just a great song and I think Nothing qualifies. Musically I can't get enough of this song and with lyrics like Where will we go when we get old / When the bustle and the noise gets too frightening / When each and every angry word / Is banished to the past that's when I think / We learn as we go / To float far away into the silence / And I watch your face / And find patience and grace / In each line there.... I find greatness.

This song is off of Rob's 2003 release entitled Furious Angels and if you like this song then you will LOVE that album. Might I also suggest checking out his song Born Yesterday which was tied into the movie The Professional. If you like Nothing At All then you will definitely like Born. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment