Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Spiegel Im Spiegel

The very first time I heard this piece I couldn't keep the tears contained. It brought the memory of my father so vividly back to mind and it crushed me. I have loved this piece entitled Spiegel Im Spiegel ever since. It's a very deliberate piece that never changes tempo and it's about ten minutes long in length. it's just a piano and cello and though the original piece was written for piano and violin, the cello adds more gravitas.

The composer is Arvo Part and he wrote Spiegel Im Spiegel, which means Mirror(s) In The Mirror back in 1978. It has been used in a number of movies because it's such a poignant piece. It sounds like it was tailor made for the movies. Arvo Part is from Estonia and he wrote this piece just before leaving Estonia, putting his sadness into music.

This piece always reminds me of my father and it always will. It represents my sadness in missing him like nothing else I have ever come across. I don't know what this song will represent for you, perhaps nothing, perhaps everything. I hope you enjoy it though as much as I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment