Wednesday, October 24, 2012

God Moving Over the Face of the Waters

I first heard this song in the 1995 Michael Mann directed masterpiece Heat. If you haven't seen it I really don't know what you're waiting for. Anyway, when this music came on towards the end of the film I couldn't believe my ears because it was one of the prettiest things I had ever heard. Of course it was this song that prompted me to go out and buy the soundtrack. The name of the song is God Moving Over the Face of the Waters and it's creator is Moby. Now Moby has been around for a very long time and I was never a really big fan of his, until this song.

I think the title is very apropos because the music definitely reflects that image. Whatever or whoever your God may be, He/She moving over the face of the waters would be done so to this music. God was used in Heat but it's actually off Moby's 1995 album Everything Is Wrong. Never released as a single, probably because of its length (7 minutes plus) I firmly think it's the stand out of the album.

Moby has been the target of plenty derision from everyone from The Simpsons to Eminem but like Moby or hate him one would be hard to deny that the man is talented. If you don't believe me, just let your ears convince you. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment